Water fasting - Day 4,5, & 6

April 30, 2014
This post will be about days 4, 5, and 6. 

Day 4

Day 4 was very hard. Early in the day I began to feel very nauseous. Sipping on water with lemon helped. Along with the nausea I started experiencing lower back pain. I've never had back issues so I was a bit confused.  Last year after a fender bender I injured my coccyx so I figured that that was probably the cause of the lower back pain. While reading about other peoples experiences with fasting on cure zone I saw that someone had experienced lower back pain as well. The cure zone poster did a salt water flush and felt better after. In the past I tried a saltwater flush and was painfully unsuccessful so I immediately  decided against attempting a salt water flush again. Between the nausea and back pain I decided that it was time for the dreaded coffee enema. 

I was extremely nervous and a little grossed out by the concept but I figured it that I might as well give it a try. I purchased some organic coffee at my local health store and an enema kit from Walmart. I watched a few videos of  others performing their DIY enema's on YouTube and went to town. After one attempt I felt lighter (duh) and within an hour my lower back pain was all gone. Woo hoo.

According to the Gerson Institute  the purpose of coffee enema's, "...is not to clear out the intestines, but the...water in the enema stimulates peristalsis in the gut. A portion of the water also dilutes the bile and increases the bile flow, thereby flushing toxicbile (loaded with toxins by the glutathione S
-transferase enzyme system) out of the intestines. Doctors at the University of Minnesota showed that coffee administered rectally also stimulates an enzyme system in the liver called glutathione S-
transferase by 600%-700% above normal activity levels. This enzyme reacts with free radicals (which cause cell damage) in the bloodstream and makes them inert. These neutralized
substances become dissolved in the bile, are released through the bile flow from the liver and gallbladder, and are excreted through the intestinal tract."
 
 
Day 5

Had to go to NY to get some important and time sensitive business done. By day 5 I would still experience nausea but I still wasn't hungry. Don't get me wrong I wasn't hungry but I was tempted to eat. My new bestie became weakness. I couldn't run up or down the stairs at home or at work as I normally do. If I got up too quickly I'd feel very faint. I decided to take the train for my daily work commute and I also took the Amtrac to NY. There was no way I could drive  anywhere without putting myself and others at risk. Before leaving for work on day 5 I did another coffee enema.My tongue would still produce the ketosis induced white coating. As I stepped out of the train and to the streets of NY I was surrounded by the delightful sights and smells of food. Decided to do myself a favor and hit the sack early.  


Day 6  

The morning of day six was difficult. I was tired and weak. After taking care of some business I did a bit of retail therapy. While shopping a family member made the observation that they hadn't seen me eat since Ive been in town. Busted. After shopping it's customary that we get a bite to eat, sometimes a snack or a full meal and thus time was no exception. I contemplated telling them that I was on a fast but I was 100 % sure that they would all think that I was crazy. Instead I spinelessly ordered water with lemon and a fruit salad consisting of sliced pineapples, mango, grape, strawberries, and kiwi.

I admit, the first bite was sinfully delicious and full of guilt all at the same time. I couldn't finish my salad which was odd because normally I could down an entire medium pizza pie myself with no problem(shameful I know). I also realized that the taste of the fruits were overwhelmingly sweet.  Anyway, I broke my fast and felt guilty about it. Guilty because I felt like a shady teenager up to no good sneaking behind my parents backs but I also felt bad because I broke my intention to fast for atleast 7 days. Regardless of my shortened fast I'm happy with my results thus far. I feel lighter and have lost a total of 13 pounds. I'm sure that the pounds lost is a combination of water weight, waste, and body fat. I'm pretty sure that some of the pounds lost is body fat because I went into ketosis very quickly. During ketosis our bodies uses our fat and a bit of muscle to fuel our bodies. The process of ketosis is much more complicated but a simple Google search will provide a wealth of information.  

I would not recommend prolonged water fasting to most. Not only is water fasting difficult to complete but it can be very dangerous as well. Blood pressure and sugar levels drops drastically and for some this can be fatal. ALWAYS consult your physician before attempting fasting especially a prolonged fast. Instead I would recommend juice feasting. If your interested in a less drastic but quite powerful way to cleanse your body and improve your health I would recommend that you watch  a fascinating, entertaining, and informative documentary called Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead.   

Overall Thoughts and Observations:

Water fasting was difficult not because I was hungry but because of the wicked mind games my head would play in an attempt to get me to eat. It was very odd to me that even after 6 days of not eating solid food that I wasn't hungry at all.  I've realized that most of the times that I eat it isn't out of hunger but because its become a mindless habit, a past time. Even more shocking is the amount of crap that's still stuck in our bodies even after days of not eating. Those two coffee enema's were gross but definitely provided great benefits. 

The weakness experienced from fasting after a few days is no joke. If youre ever going to do an extended fast I implore you to be careful while driving. If possible stay away from driving and vigorous activities all together.

I'll definitely be doing a 7 day fast annually. Perhaps even two but I'll definitely continue to enjoy lots of fresh green juices, tea's, water and my favorite coconut water.

Live long and prosper.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.