Water Fast Day 1

April 21, 2014
Today was the first day of my water fasting journey. I'm intent on detoxing the crap outta my body. Pun intended. For the next few days I'll be consuming nothing but water. No tea's, juices, yummy treats; nothing but water. Each day I aim to drink about 3 liters of water. Here's a breakdown of my first day.


7 a.m. - Woke up at 7a.m. sharp. While getting ready I oil pulled with coconut oil for 20 minutes. It was weird not going to the kitchen to make a cup of coffee or tea and toast. Oddly enough I wasn't hungry. The habit of thinking of and eating food was there but no hunger.

12 p.m. - Still no hunger or hunger pains. I'm full of energy and clear headed. So far I've had about 4 glasses of water and a few trips to the bathroom.  So far so good.


3 p.m. - Ick, experiencing a gross after taste in my mouth. Definitely will be getting a tongue scrapper and extra toothbrush after work today. Still full of energy and no hunger pains.


11 p.m. - Still not hungry. I feel no hunger regardless of the fast that I'm bombarded with images and videos of food via the television and on social media. Still feel energized and no aches. I plan on drinking the remainder of my water and attempt to get at least 7 hours of sleep tonight.

I did no exercising today but I intend to do some light cardio tomorrow for about 45 mins. I've read that some people continue to workout during extended fasts while others where unable to because they were too weak. I'll be listening to my body while I fast. If after attempting to work out I feel too tired I'll stop and do some yoga or rest instead.

While doing research for fasting I came across a handy little article about the stages of fasting. According to the article the first two days of fasting is as follows for most people:

Stage 1 (Day1-2)

On the first day of fasting, the blood sugar level drops below 70mg/dl. To restore the blood to the normal glucose level, liver glycogen is converted to glucose and released into the blood. This reserve is enough for a half day. The body then reduces the basal metabolic rate (BMR). The rate of internal chemical activity in resting tissue is lowered to conserve energy. The heart slows and blood pressure is reduced. Glycogen s pulled from the muscle causing some weakness. The first wave of cleansing is usually the worst.


Headaches, dizziness, nausea, bad breath, glazed eyes and a heavily coated tongue are signs of the first stage of cleansing. Hunger can be the most intense in this period.



Today has been considerably tolerable so I'm hoping that tomorrow will be the same. I've been using a pretty cool little app called Quitter from the App store that tracks my fasting period. The app is meant for smokers trying to quit but I added since my last calorie instead of cigarette and it totally works.




Live long and prosper...

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.