Yummy Banana Nutella Muffins and Bars

I had a few overripe bananas, a jar of Nutella, some peanut butter, and an overwhelming urge to combine them all. I combed Pinterest and Google for recipes. I compared and contrasted. And then I realized that I didn’t need a new recipe, I could simply adapt my usual banana muffins recipe. Why not play with it and add some sweet Nutella goodness to it? Why not indeed. It all began with this.

Yes, I know that's only one banana pictured, but the others had been in the freezer for a while and it was too revolting to photograph. Anyway, let's get started.

Ingredients:


1 cup whole wheat white flour (Yes, you read correctly it's whole wheat wheat flour but feel free to use your usual white flour)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 cup mashed ripe banana (I used two large ones)
1 egg
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup vanilla yogurt (I used low-fat)
Melted Nutella (I used a heaping teaspoon per muffin cup)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.

In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.

In a separate bowl, beat together the banana, sugar, egg, peanut butter, and vanilla. Stir in the yogurt.

Stir the banana mixture into the flour until just combined then scoop the batter into the muffin cups, filling them about halfway up, maybe a little less.

Scoop some Nutella into a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for about 25 seconds. Using a teaspoon, drop a good-sized glob into the center of each muffin. Top up each one with the rest of the batter, and drizzle some more Nutella on top of that.
 
Lower heat from 375 to 350 degrees then place muffins in the oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Let cool before serving then devour relentlessly.


Here's a more detailed explanation below.  

I dug into the dry ingredients. Whole wheat white flour, baking powder (a full tablespoon), baking soda, and salt. I thought about the spices before putting them in, thinking about how they’d blend with the Nutella, so I used just one heaping teaspoon of cinnamon and a quarter teaspoon of nutmeg(my fav) and then I whisked.

           
In a separate, small bowl, I mashed the banana. To that I added a quarter cup of brown sugar. You could use any sugar in this, or even white sugar if it’s all you have, but I like the depth of flavor this sugar provides.

To that I added an egg, vanilla, and peanut butter. My measuring method for the peanut butter is a little dodgy, I just get a tablespoon out of the kitchen drawer (vs. a measuring tablespoon) and scoop out a big glob of it, dump it in, then stirred to mix.
I added in a quarter cup of vanilla yogurt, and mixed. The color of your batter should get a bit lighter. I poured all of that into the bowl with the flour, and mixed just until incorporated. Then I got out the muffin pan, pre-lined with paper muffin cups, and fill each one about halfway, or just under.
I then prepared the Nutella by melting it. I used a pot with hot water then placed a small bowl of nutella in it in order to melt it but you can use a microwave for about 20-30 seconds. It really depends on the type of microwave that you're using, some get hotter faster. 
I placed a nice dollop of melted Nutella in the center of each muffin then covered them with the rest of the batter. Because I couldn’t resist, I added another heaping dollop of Nutella to the top of each one and swirled it around a bit.
Happy with my master piece I placed them in the oven, reduced the temperature to 350 (from 375), and baked for just over 15 minutes. I let them cool in the pan for a few minutes, then moved them to a wire rack. They turned out great. These muffins has a light fluffy texture and the Nutella turns them from a breakfast dish into delicious indulgent treat. The only suggestion I’d give to improve them would be to add more Nutella and/or peanut butter .=)


If you're not a muffin lover and you'd like to make these in the form of a cake or make nutella banana bars then here's a quick recipe that's just as yummy. Here's what you'll need.

Ingredients:

6 Tbsp butter, melted
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup  flour
1/2 cup mashed bananas
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter

1/4 cup Nutella 

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 8×8 pan, set aside.

Mix melted butter with brown sugar and beat until smooth. Beat in egg and then vanilla.

Add salt, stir in flour. Mix in bananas and peanut butter. Pour into prepared pan.

Melt the Nutella briefly in the microwave. Drop by spoonfuls over the batter, and swirl in with a knife.

Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until set in the middle. Cool on rack before cutting.

Maybe next time I'll try Almond butter instead of peanut butter. Oh the possibilities. 

Happy Snacking.



Source: Inspired by Buns in My Oven. Adapted from Smitten Kitchen & Bake at 350.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.